Sunday, May 12, 2013
CED502- Week 1
To determine the most effective tool for anything, I think its important to know what the purpose is and the outcome you are trying to achieve.
Asynchronous Tools:
Most effective: I like all of the following tools: shared calendars, website links, databases, surveys, blogs and narrated slideshows. They all make our job as educators just a little bit simpler.
Least effective" Streaming audio because you can't answer questions or expand on topics with this tool.
Synchronous Tools:
Most effective: Video conferencing with programs like Skype, Oovoo because you can really have in depth conversations with multiple people.
Least effective: I would say instant messaging, at least in the education world because it is limited to just a 1:1 conversation and I have a hard time seeing it as a learning tool. Often times you have to have compatible systems in order for this to work. I like instant messaging on a personal level but not for education.
Facilitation skills required for these tools to be used effectively:
1) Organization, find a system that works and tracks the students learning and assessment
2) Lessons well planned and thought out with a variety of media
3) Skilled in using technology and troubleshooting
4) Knowledgeable about how these tools work
5) Proper equipment- bandwidth
6) Communication- get feedback from students, offer diverse perspectives on issues, have deep dialogues
7) Reflect on the learning and what changes need to be made
8) Set deadlines
9) Collaborate as team members
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I find it most interesting that you mention, “ I like instant messaging on a personal level but not for education.” The statement was very profound for me. Reflecting on the statement, I believe instant messaging can be interpreted differently. However, is instant messaging much different than email? I alway here people say, “meet the kids where they are at.” If students use instanting messaging as preferred form of communication, why not meet them where they are at?
ReplyDeleteGreat insight Julie, especially your opening statement. I completely agree with your statement that the purpose and end goal are exactly what is needed to determine effectiveness of any tool. I also liked your thoughtfulness in what facilitation skills are needed- especially the idea of tracking learning and assessment because that could be a tricky part especially when thinking about organization when kids (especially elementary) will be responsible for submitting materials online- from my experience kids often times have a difficult time naming, saving, finding, working on the same document over a course of time, saving, and submitting work. Ensuring that the teacher has things organized and a plan for tracking learning and assessments will be important to have ironed out on the front end to help kids get organized on their end. To piggyback off of what you introduced and Lindsey commented on, I have found the messaging tools in Google documents to be a great tool to help bounce ideas off each other, building relationships within a working document/project, and communicate where email can take too much time and is frustrating to get an answer back. My fear would be, easy in...easy out. I frequently don't remember things that were text to me therefore I could easily see kids not always remembering IM conversations therefore communication could become an issue?
ReplyDelete