How is what we are doing in class influential in my professional and personal life?
Professional, I could demonstrate these skills to staff and students for them to begin utilizing as well. I have presented on topics such a Diigo and Google docs but there continues to be staff members that are unfamiliar with the power of these tools. So, somehow I have to reach out to these staff members to make them aware of what they're missing. Maybe the idea of working with a teacher one on one and showing them exactly what they are in need of would be a starting point, specifically with things like Google docs because that can be incorporated into a classroom immediately. Also, the idea of using different browsers is huge because I've run into problems at school when certain programs (like Compass) don't run well under Internet Explorer but it works just fine under Firefox. I appreciate ALL trouble shooting possibilities.
Personally, I can use all of this week's classroom ideas; browsers, bookmarking collaborative docs, and FERPA. I tried Diigo a few years ago and I never really latched onto the whole process. I understand how it works and I think its a great tool but I found that I never used it once I downloaded the tool bar. So hopefully by revisiting Diigo, I will be intrigued to give it another try. Side note: I felt the same way about Pinterest when I discovered it last year (what's all the hype??) and now I'm completely addicted!!
Julie,
ReplyDeleteI completely understand what you are saying about the browsers! I am a creature of habit and learned off internet explorer. I remember when I had to change over to using Mozilla on my parents 2000 Dell. It has been a neat experience to see how browsers have become more conducive to social networking and sharing. As a technology specialist, what other classroom friendly Social Bookmarking sites have you come across besides Diigo and delcious?